I made this over the weekend and it was particularly good, and fairly easy, so I want to remember it.
- 2 boxes (4 crusts) deli pie crusts
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 leeks sliced and beheaded
- 4 small to medium potatoes cubed
- 4 c chicken bullion or just water if you’re hardcore (see step 5 below)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sage
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 c flour
- Heat over to 400°
- Put bottom crust into 1 or 2 pie plates and chill in refrigerator.
- Pull all the meat of the chicken discarding (or eating) the skin.
- Chop 2/3 of the chicken into daily big chunks and the other 1/3 into little bits.
- (optional) If you’re hardcore wrap and tie the bones in cheesecloth and put in 4 cups of hot water. Otherwise use 4 c of chicken broth or bullion.
- Put the vegetables in the bullion/water and bring to a soft boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until carrots are tender but not mush.
- Strain vegetables and keep the broth. Discard the bones if you wen that way.
- Combine flour, spices and 1/2 c of broth in the same pot and mix until smooth.
- Add 3 more cups of broth and heat over medium until bubbling and thickened.
- Add the vegetables and chopped chicken and mix all ingredients thoroughly. This is when you want to taste and adjust any seasonings, especially the salt and pepper - I like a lot of pepper.
- Divide the mixture in half. You can fit two pies or freeze some.
- Add the top pie crust, crimp shut, slice several vents in crust.
- Bake for 45 min or until browned.
- I suggest you let it rest and cool for 10-15 minutes for the gravy to thicken and prevent lava burns.